Innovative research institute
SORADI is an independent Social Research and Development Institute, created in 2007 by a group of Somali professionals and academics. Since our inception we have dedicated our self to advance the democratization and development process in Somaliland and in the Horn of Africa.
Create the change
Our main focus has been to conduct quality applied research, implement development projects, promote public debate by a mobilized and vibrant Civil Society and lastly Third-Party Monitoring of development programmes.
Achieve our objectives
We were able to fill a gap formed in the absence of a common civil society voice and lack of role in the national public debate for democratization and good governance. For example we spearheaded the formation of the Independent Scholars Group (ISG), an informal group of influential civil society figures in Somaliland, who helped to mitigate the recurrent failings of the democratization process (esp. when the elections were postponed a number of times 2008 through 2015).
A Center of Quality
SORADI is recognized as a center with quality research, a hub of scholarly innovation and entrepreneurship, and an agent of transfer of knowledge and harbinger of the democratic culture in the region.
- Integrity and Honesty
- Transparency and Accountability
- Social justice and Inclusiveness
- Participatory and Responsiveness
- Environmental stewardship
Mission & Vision
SORADI is an independent social research and development institute, which is recognized as a national hub for quality research, innovation and development and an agent of transfer of knowledge and harbinger of the democratic culture in Somaliland.
- Vision: SORADI’s vision is a democratic, inclusive, and just Somaliland where people live with dignity and secured livelihoods.
- Mission: SORADI envisions to undertake participatory research and programming to lead collaboration and linkage between Diaspora, local research and development organizations, NGOs, government entities and private sector, to facilitate transfer of knowledge, foster and promote democratization and sustainable socio-economic development in Somaliland and in the Horn of Africa Region.
- To nurture social research and policy debate and transfer of knowledge and linkages with diaspora
- To foster rights-based, poverty reduction and sustainable development
- To promote just and democratic governance